Sunday, November 21, 2010

La Gloria Cubana Serie N

I have heard a bit of buzz that this new addition to the La Gloria Cubana family existed, but I have not been able to find any around.  My luck was with me last weekend, and I was able to pick one up.


Size: 5.5 x 54
Shape: Robusto
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Filler: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Strength: Medium to Full

Price: $6.25 retail

The first highlight of this cigar is the construction.  A nearly black wrapper with a good amount of veins and no imperfections is tapped in the center of the stick with an "N", which is cut from a natural leaf and stuck on the cigar.  When I first started seeing pictures of  this stick around, I was concerned that the stick may be dyed to the deep blackness, but that appears not to be the case.

A clean cut of the cap, and a toasting of the foot get the cigar off to a good start.  The aroma is earthy and pleasant, inviting you to sit and start to draw.  The first draw is easy and stays smooth through to the end.  The first 3rd displays flavors of leather and wood, with a creamy molasses streaming through.  The flavors begin to develop more as the second 3rd is transitioned.  Notes of dark roast coffee appear, and are complimented by touches of mocha and a floral sweetness on the  finish.  As the second 3rd gives way to the final 3rd, these flavors erupt into an orchestrated symphony of enjoyment.  The strength of the cigar builds a bit more at this point adding to the full complexity of the cigar. 

The Serie N ends wonderfully leaving me wishing I had purchased a few more sticks.  The cigar did not require any relights, however I did need to touch it up a few times to bring the burn back in line.  This requirement was a small price to pay for such a wonderful smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment